Monday, November 14, 2011

Care Package!

Every morning I go down the staircase, and just one flight shy of the bottom of the hill, Furohashi-san, the neighborhood obaasan ("grandma") is almost always out sweeping her porch or some such, and always makes a point of calling out Good Morning with a few other words of greeting to send me on my way to school. 

Less frequently do I see her on the way home.  However, this evening as I was rather slowly ascending the stairs, she was there and called me over.  Maybe I looked particularly worn out, but she told me all about the dinner she was making - Japanese seafood & veggie stew as well as "takikome gohan" (pilaf) - and then instructed me not to worry about fixing myself anything, as soon as it was done she'd bring me up some.  There was no declining her invitation, although I finally got her to agree to call so that I could at least go down the stairs & meet her halfway.

And an hour later, the phone rang, and out I went.  Look at the care package she made for me!


I'm so lucky to have such kind neighbors!!

2 comments:

  1. Awww. That is too sweet! That's a nice neighbor. I love all the food she prepared too. It looks like she even gave you a little candy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really nice of her, I like that she also gave you some fruit!

    ReplyDelete